Man and Tail // An Art Performance at Gauhati University // Develop by Anupam Saikia

From my childhood I have beheld community conflicts, riots, and identity controversies in the context of Assam. My memory is loaded with the visuals of burning houses/ villages in the past. They have created a psychological tension and fabricated a silent space in human psyche not only for that particular community but also have extended the anxiety in the surroundings. I have tried to depict that psychological violence and the silence in this performance. I believe that when these kinds of conflicts happen, a space of illusion/delusion is created in our psychology because every conflict is a product of political manipulations that have happened in the past. I have related this narrative to that of “Lanka Daahan” from the Ramayana metaphorically where Hanuman had burnt the state of Lanka.


the constructed space, Campus of Gauhati University... // June 2015

For this performance the space was created like the space where to the violence, riots, community conflict constantly happening in Assam emerged from political benefits. I think peoples like police, politicians, social activist, common people (so called) are perform differently in the space where the riots or violence or community conflict were happening. These kind of performing gestures are use in my performance try to create the narrative in a visual form. Though I am using a microphone and sound is not there. The sounds come in to viewer psychological space and emerge many questions and provoke to rethink.

Indeed, the anthropomorphic from is re-interpretation of a mythological character from Hindu epic Ramayana which I feel a connection to all conflict. I burn myself the tail and turned it off.  Here I used a GAMUSHA (a traditional textile used for prestigious purposes in Assam) to hide identity of the performer and also it is a type of satire.



Man and Tail, Venue : Gauhati University. Duration 25 minutes, June 2015

















To watch the video of this performance :  click here



















#performanceartinindia #anupamsaikia #assam

No comments:

Post a Comment